Total Pageviews

Thursday, January 20, 2011

Hello From Sierra Leone

     Arrived Monday 7pm, after flight cancellations, a mere 32 hours after we left home. S.L. just as I remembered. Ride from airport to ferry is in complete darkness - no electricity - generator fuel and coal oil fumes everywhere. Since we've arrived, I've met the chief medical officer of the country, and the Minister of Health for all S.L. (a big deal). We have spent most of the last few days - and most of the rest of the trip - in the village of Maboleh. On our way, we visited the village of Mufora; our entrance was a joyous occasion, marked by a procession of singing and dancing. We were greeted royally. We were there to dedicate a church for the village; what an event for them and for us. Drum music, singing, dancing - I have some good videos. In our village - Maboleh - our arrival was a bit less rousing, but auspicious nonetheless. We met with the church and village elders, the local Imam, and what seemed like the rest of the village. I was able to donate an entire suitcase full of band aids, medical supplies, school supplies, and hand made items for the village. They were blown away by our gifts. THANK YOU to all of you who helped with  this. You made a difference! Believe me when I tell you that these folks live just like their ancestors did for the past 1,000 years. It is absolutely a day to day existance. many folks carry tribal scarations and marks. It's truly another world.
     There are about 1,000 - 1,200 residents of the village. The makeup is about 10% Christian, 60% Muslim and 30% animist - or tribal religions. Our meetings resulted in our partnering with them to build another latrine in the village, and begin plans for a new church. I cannot include pics witht his post, as I am in an internet cafe in Makeni (4th largest city - former rebel stronghold during the war), and am limited by the technology available. I will have hundreds to show upon my return. Thus far I've eaten goat, barracuda, casava stew and ground nut soup. All very tasty (except the casava stew - looks and tatses like ****). The rest of our time here will be spent working in the village and helping them with these projects.
     Our team is comprised of 4 members of CrossPoint; Roger, Stephanie, Kenny and me. We're having a blast. Kenny is posting as well, but his computer just dumped. If you follow his post and can't find it, that's why (public service portion of this post).
     I've heard of the weather you've been having, so I won't speak much about the 95+ degree days we've experienced since we got here. Nights are hot too; no screens in many rooms, so sleeping in a mosquito net is a must. Taking malaria medicine every day has become routine. I've rekindled my relationship with so many folks here; their joy at seeing us return is astounding, as are the faces and personalities of all the children.
     I've seen lots of animals, the most abundant of which are the lizards (some in our room); but no lions, tigers or grizzleys yet. I will do my best to post once more next week. Oah-U (good bye in Temne)

2 comments:

  1. Wow, that sounds so exciting! Can't wait to read about the rest of your Journey!--Angie Schauer

    ReplyDelete