Total Pageviews

Monday, January 24, 2011

Makin' Progress

     After 8 days, we're really starting to make things happen; we've got a lot of balls in the air and I've much to report. We met with every village and regional official imaginable; Sierra Leoneans are extremely protocol oriented. Thus far we have dug and purchased all the construction materials necessary to build a latrine - a three hole model, just near the "community center". Again, I must apologize for not being able to send pics. The service here at the internet cafe is not only spotty, it's an absolute gamble. You never know which machine is going to lock up during your session. An hour's time costs $6,000 Leone's (about $1.50 US).
     Anyway, today I spent over $4.9 million for the materials to build the latrine; again, that's Leones - about $1,150 US. The latrine is about 11' X 7' X 12' deep. I helped (very little) the workers remove nearly 1,000 cubuc feet of dirt. Thes folks are amazingly willing and seemingly tireless workers. I am awed by their approach to any task; they simply attack it with waves of effort. When the hole gets too deep to crawl out of, they cut a strong branch from a nearby tree, notch it, and use it like a ladder - incredibly ingenious. So far, in addition to a shovel, I've held a rat, a baby owl and a monkey skull thus far. I guess I'm not in Kansas anymore!
     We also purchased supplies for the village school (about $320,000 Leones) and another $200,000 Leones on sundry items. When you convert dollars to Leones, you get their currency in black plastic bags - blocks of it. Really makes you feel like a drug dealer, or something like that. The currency exchange is always done on the street; the driver pulls up and dealers come over to the car and - whoosh - the transaction takes place.
     The streets are an absolute madhouse; it's kinda like driving through Times Square on New Year's Eve. The guy who honks the loudest, and most persistently, has the right of way. Beggers are everywhere; it's really sad, but the only way to navigate the crowds, while on foot, is to make whatever contribution you want, to a "head begger", who then distributes it however he sees fit to the rest f the group. There are 2 rules you NEVER violate here: 1) do not drink the water under any circumstances, and 2) do not eat anything that is not boiled or that you can peel yourself. There are demons  in the water that you do not want to encounter! The taxi driver are all on motorcycles - they make the Mad Max movies seem tame.
     We did have a moment to ourselves the other day. There are 2 mountains that surround Makeni, where we are staying (about 4 - 5 miles from our village). The mountains are Wasum (father) and Mena (mother). I have wanted to climb Mena since coming here 2 years ago, and I was able to do that early on Saturday morning. What a climb, but what a rush to see Africa from the top of a mountain. It made my day!!!
     The rest of our time is spent whitewashing and painting the parsonage (another $1.3 million Leones); it's stunning how little it takes to make a difference here. We're also reconnecting with friends; I found the little girl that I tought to skip last trip. I had our driver Edison ask her how she knew me; she said I was the one who "ran down the street with her a while ago". She now wears my "Hope For Zoe" bracelet. Some of you will understand that........
     Yesterday, I had the opportunity to call home and speak live with one of our church services at CrossPoint. I hope it was a neat for them there as it was for me.
     Well, other team members around me are losing their connection. I hope this all comes through. I will post lots more, with tons of pics when I get home - hopefully, on Friday.
Oah-u
Speed

1 comment:

  1. You are making such a huge difference in so many lives in just a few days, I am so proud of you dad! I love you and get home safely! -Scoot

    ReplyDelete